Dr. Paula Williams
The Committee on Education shall:
- seek to eliminate segregation and other discriminatory practices in public education;
- study local educational conditions affecting people of color groups;
- investigate the public school system and school zoning;
- familiarize itself with textbook material which is racially derogatory;
- seek to stimulate school attendance;
- keep informed of school conditions and strive to correct abuses where found;
- investigate the effects of standardized and high stakes testing practices;
- teacher certification;
- promote parental involvement in education; and
- aim to be a center of popular education on the race question and on the work of the Alaska Black Caucus.
The Education Committee’s overarching goal is to ensure students, families, and parents of color in the Anchorage School District and the greater community are supported and feel safe to blossom in an educational setting.
The BEE is an award which recognizes one Black identifying Teacher of Color (retired or active) and one Black identifying Teaching Assistant for their positive